Sunday, April 6, 2014

Conflict and Communication (Week 5)


Every Friday at my job it is important that all teachers and personal make sure that all classrooms are sanitized before leaving. Cleaning the different centers in a classroom is not an easy job. I cleaned my kitchen center on Thursday. My co-worker decides on Friday to let the children play in that center. Instead of approaching the situation with a positive attitude, I went straight to my co-worker with a hostile voice. Now I know better than to argue with my co-worker on the floor with the children so I waited until she went to the bathroom. My tone and body language was off. This conversation caused me to get in trouble with my supervisor and conflict with my co-worker. It was so bad that we wouldn't say good morning or good afternoon to one another. 

After the conversation I think if i would have approached my coworker differently things would not have been bad.  After sitting down listening to her reasoning for opening the center I felt bad for being hostile. Lack of communication from my supervisor was the reason she opened the center. I did apologize and I placed myself in her shoes. I think what made the conflict resolve was allowing each person to speak without the other person interrupting. I was able to get a clear understanding of how she felt and it really was helpful to understand her thoughts on the situation. Furthermore, I showed respect and that was very beneficial as well. My co-worker and I are good and I'm happy that we were able to resolve our conflict. The 3R's would have helped in this conflict as well as the platinum rule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment