Saturday, July 27, 2013

My Connections to Play



Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play. ~ Fred Rogers 

As a child my siblings and I use to play "House". It was enough of us to cover all the roles in the house. I remember I was always the mom and my older brother was the dad. It was interesting playing this game because we acted out what our parents would say such as the rules of the house, doing chores, and saying your prayers before bedtime. Of course we add our own words to make it fun but it was during these times we learned more about our parents expectations as well as who was the lazy person in the family.

“Children learn as they play. Most importantly, in play children learn how to learn.” ~ O. Fred Donaldson 

“Play is the highest expression of human development in childhood, for it alone is the free expression of what is in a child’s soul.” Friedrich Froebel 




Growing up I lived in village apartment complex and in the summer time all the children on the terrace would gather things out their room to play school. We did everything from counting, writing, reading, learning about different states, and even how things were created. It was a fun but learning time because we got to see what the other kids brought out their houses. Some of the kids had really cool books, coloring books and crayons, and educational devices. We use split up in two groups and see which group was the smartest by playing spelling bee's and solving math problems.

Hopscotch was one of my favorite games to play. My dad use to buy colorful chalk that my sisters and I used to make our own hopscotch. We use to be creative with it and draw pictures inside of the boxes such as hearts, butterflies or stars. Somehow I always ended up being stuck on seven. LOL!!! The good ole days of hopscotch.

 My father is probably smiling down from heaven as I right this because I use to think this game was torture when my father was teaching me how to play. I thought it was boring and for boys. However, I started to love this game because my dad taught me how to beat my siblings. It was crazy because while we could have played checkers or marbles we all wanted to play chess. It became a family game that my father even allowed us to rename the pieces. For example the pawn was called Power Pound Puppy....Silly I know....Would give anything to play chess with my father again.

Supportive People in my childhood
My parents were major supporters of play in my childhood. While I had play time on my own my parents did participate in some of my play time. One of the things I use to love doing was coloring. Coloring was major in my household. 
We had everything from paint, crayons, color pencils, and markers. My dad taught me how to blend in colors and stay in between the lines. It was a great time. I use to be ashamed to tell people but I still enjoy coloring as an adult. When I'm stressed or overwhelmed I color. It take my mind off things and its soothing. My siblings and neighbors were great supporters as well. Any outdoor play always involved all the kids on the terrace or apartment complex. We played tag, hide and seek, and jump rope. While we didn't always get along we learned from each other and I built friendships from playing.

Past vs Present Play
Growing up playing outside was the best thing to do. Going to play ground or the community swimming pool was like the "thing" to do. Riding bikes and jumping rope until the street lights came on was pretty much the norm. When I was younger my parents brought my siblings and I a super nintendo (which I still own and play). We was only allowed to play the game on the weekends even in the summer time. Currently, game systems, cell phones, or pads is all kids are into. You can go in any community and find kids outside but playing with some type of device. Electronics have taken over tag, hopscotch, or playing school. Even when it comes down to simple things as riding a bike, many kids have remote control cars or power scooters. I feel that new technology has made the next generation lazy. 

Thoughts on Play 
As an adult I find ways to bring out my childhood experiences. When I'm watching my nieces and nephews I still like to color and create club houses using the living room furniture, sheets, and blankets. I think its good for a child to use their imagination while playing. Sometimes we will lay on the bed at night with a flash light and play who can spot the biggest star. To me I feel that those moments of play will be memorable. Throughout my childhood I remember always carrying around "JACKS" cause I use to love to play with them. How many people remember jacks? The silver ones too...lol.... When children become adults they should remember good times in their childhood like this. However, they have to engage in play in order to have the memory.   





1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynette,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I still smile whenever i think about how much fun i used to have Jumping rope, playing hide and seek and how about hopscotch. Good times! Great memories! You are right kids need to engage in play to have those memories later on when life becomes more complicated.

    ReplyDelete