Saturday, October 26, 2013

Early Childhood Education Internationally Week 8

Issues & Trends in Early Childhood will forever be course that I will never forget. It is amazing how fast this course went. Seems just last week I was stressing about finding an international contact and passing this course. However, I learned a lot about different issues such poverty, equity and excellence, changing demographics and diversity as well as policies and economist. I have a clearer picture of how other countries teach children, what professionals need to teach, and what trainings are available for early childhood professionals.

~Three consequences of learning for international early childhood are as follow:

  • I have a different attitude towards the education system in Philadelphia due to learning about Germany education system. In Germany kindergarten or preschool is not free and as a result so many children are entering elementary school academically behind because they are home. While I always came down on my community education system I'm learning to be apprecative because at least parents are not paying out of pocket expenses for there child or children preschool and kindergarten education. Also, I learned that child care funds are nearly impossible to receive for families who children are beneath the age of 3. Germany feels that mothers should be at home during the early years of a child life.
  • I have learned about Awareness, Affordability, and Access and these three issues has motivated me to become a child advocate. During one of the week assignments it was really heart breaking to hear about how different cultural families who come to the U.S don't know how to find funds for childcare, find high quality child care centers, or how to apply for public assistance like food stamps and medical care. I'm in the process of finding places that will allow information pamphlets on the premises. People from different cultures come to the U.S. for a better life for themselves and their children. They should be aware of everything that will guarantee their child to have a successful life. 

  • I have also leanred many things from my international contact Dr. Anika. She has truly helped to appreciate things more in the U.S. She also gave me an understanding of the process of becoming a teacher in Germany. Its crazy how in the U.S. government officials slack on making sure teachers are qualified while in Germany the policies are much harder. I think people in the U.S. abuse the freedom that they have in not providing the best education for children. Also, I learned different ways to raise awareness with policy makers and government officials. Dr Anika has great passion for children just like myself. i truly enjoyed speaking with her through emails.
~One goal in reference to international early childhod

  • The one goal that I feel is important is for EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION to take place across the globe. I feel like people are taking but nobody is listening. It is imperative for policy makers, government officials, parents, children, teachers, community leaders, and child advocates to begin speaking out about issues and then begin to resolve them. I learned that parents don't speak out of embarrassment and the thought that nobody cares, government officials don't really assess the issue, and some teachers have a I dont care attitude due to lack of compensation. In order for change to happen everyone needs to come together with one voice and one sound creating change for children.

All the issues pertaining to early childhood can be eliminated if everyone start working together and not against each other...... 

2 comments:

  1. Lynette- I totally agree with you that effective communication among child care providers will change the face of early childhood. It is unfortunate that so many in government have no background in early childhood development or best practice. We, as early childhood educators, need to educate not only the children in our care, but also the parents of those children and the governmental agencies and politicians who have control over the financial and regulatory aspects of early childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynette, effective communication is essential from a program to state, to the nation, and even internationally!! There are things we can learn from other countries about their education system. I have enjoyed reading your posts the last eight weeks! You seem very passionate and caring when it comes to your work and your life! I wish you the best of luck and hope to have you in a class with me again! I enjoy working with you!

    ReplyDelete