Saturday, November 16, 2013

Research that Benefits Children and Families-Uplifting Stories (Week 3)


If I had the ability to conduct a research I would chose ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). This disorder hits home for me because my nephew was diagnosed with it. However, his parents had little no knowledge about the disorder and I believe that just because he had behavior problems his parents just assumed that had this disorder. ADHD seem like the most common thing people are saying their children have in my community.  I really feel that parents should be sure about labeling their children with different conditions because if it is the wrong label it can harm the child in the future. Previously, I have did research on ADHD to familiarize myself with the conditions and and how to treat a child with this disorder. Below is a link that gives you information on symptoms, different types, getting tested and treatment. Understanding ADHD- ADHD in Children

In choosing this topic I feel the major contributions to children and families would be the following:
  • Properly identifying which type of ADHD the child has
  • Provide adequate results with how to handle a child with ADHD
  • Provide a clearer picture of what signs to look for when determining if a child has ADHD.
  • How to administer the proper treatment with a child
  • Determine if the child need additional treatment outside of the medication that is provided
These contributions will benefit families and children because they will have a better understanding of exactly what ADHD is. Every child case is different which means that their symptoms and treatment will be different. As I begin to look further into ADHD I realized that are several types of ADHD. Many parents are not even aware of these types. It seem like once the child is diagnosed as ADHD that is all the parent know. It is important to know how much dosage of medication to give a child because the wrong dosage can cause an allergic reaction or the child can begin to become addicted to a high dosage that never needed in the first place.

Since my research will not have restrictions of the present I would use children who have been diagnosed with ADHD as well as children who parents think they child has ADHD. Some parents have the tendency to just think they child has the disorder because of types of behavior that another child possess. In conducting this research it is my hope to show parents that some of the children just have a behavior issue and not necessarily have ADHD. This will also prevent many children from being diagnosed with a disorder that they don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment