Saturday, February 1, 2014

Microaggressions: Are they really needed? (Week 4)

Currently, I am in the process of finalizing things for my wedding. Looking for wedding favors, table cloths, center pieces, and most of all shoes. I traveled to King of Prussia mall over this past week and went in several shoe stores. Since I am a nice person I will not mention the name of the store where I experienced microaggression. However, I walked in the store with two of my sisters (all of us are African American) and a sales clerks approach us. She says "Is there something I can help you ladies with today"? I simply replied, No thank you my sisters and I are just browsing. A mutual friend had told us that the store had a huge selection on shoes and I was sure to find a pair. After maybe 20 minutes had pass the sales person approached us again. She says, across the mall their are several stores that may fit your budget. Here we only have items for our finer customers. At the time I was not thinking about whether this was microaggression. Microagression was far from my mind. I'm thinking "Oh I know she didn't just try to say I can't afford anything in this store"! See I believe that everyone has a boss. I stood up and asked her could she direct me to her direct supervisor. I'm not about to stand in store and make a scene but what I will do is file a complaint. Not only did I talk to her direct supervisor but I also called her direct supervisor. Clearly, she shouldn't be a sales person of anything because she has inner issues that she needs to address and get help for.

In the moment that this lady microinsulted my sisters and I apart of me really wanted to tell her off. I wanted to address her rudely just like she addressed me rudely. However, I was raised differently and I still carry myself like a lady. I didn't have to scope down to her immature level nor did I have to step outside of my comfort zone. My parents taught me how speak properly and how to address insecure folks. This is why I bypassed her and spoke with her direct supervisor. First and foremost lady you don't know what I can afford, how much money I have, nor any authority to tell me to go to another store. If I came to this store it must have been for a reason. The part of her little insult that really raised an eye brow was "Here we only have items for our finer customers". Currently, as I'm writing this blog entry I'm still lost as to who the "finer customers" are? I will not assume what she meant because that will put me on her ignorant level.




This week experience was just confirmation that prejudice, discrimination, and stereotype people still exist. Learning about microaggression gave me clear understanding of just mean people are and what type of people they are. I have dealt with discrimination all my life and its not so much that I'm use to it but more so I'm better able to deal with it. I do not let it define me nor allow what people say to redirect my thinking of who I am. Telling people off always feels like the right thing to do but will it change anything? Going to her direct supervisor and district supervisor felt like something will change. Now maybe she wont change but I'm sure she will always remember the young lady who got her in trouble and got her wedding shoes for 85% off. I'm a firm believer that "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say NOTHING AT ALL!!!!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! It still surprises me too that people can be so nasty, whether it is intentional or not. Those shoes are gorgeous, and congrats on finalizing your wedding plans! There is no reason for people to speak to others this way, and as a sales associate wouldn't you want to welcome everyone into your store anyway?
    I cannot thank you enough for the kind words that you said on my post. It is inspirational to me to keep moving forward, no matter how hard some days seem. I often forget what I am capable of until others remind me. So, thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete