Thursday, March 14, 2013

Transition

Growing up I was always the one family and friends called on to babysit. In the beginning it was my way of making money as a young teenager. However, after a couple years I really loved babysitting. It was amazing how well I connected with them and how well they grew attached to me. Many weekends my days were filled with laughter, crying, rocking, and changing diapers. I learned how to multitask even while babysitting. I can remember a time when watching my god daughter, she would not let me put her down. I had to place her in a carrier on my back while doing my house chores. At first, I thought man this is ridiculous but I had a weakness for her and I couldn't handle her crying out for me.

Early Childhood Education was not my first career choice. I always said I wanted to be a lawyer. I wrote down my ten year plan as to how I was going to get my law degree. Everyone expected me to be the family lawyer. The majority of the shows I currently watch has something to do with the law. However, In 2009 I had a experience of a lifetime. I was privileged to be able to work with 2nd and 3rd graders at a local high school. I was a junior in undergrad and initially working with these children was just fulfilling an internship requirement.

The first day working with children I went home crying. I thought to myself...How come they are so angry? Why don't they want to read out loud? Why do the parents not take interest in there child learning development? These were all questions that haunted my mind in only working at the school for one day. Working with these children changed my mind set. I walked away from the internship with the made up mind that I will make a difference in the lives of children. Currently, I'm getting my M.S in Early Childhood Education and I'm providing childcare from my home in hope to one day owning a childcare center.

1 comment:

  1. It is so neat that you have had such a huge impact on children! you are indeed helping to shape the next generation. Your description of these children almost makes me cry. I agree with you that education does start at home and parents need to be involved, but they are very blessed to have your help. Perhaps you will make more of an impact on the world as an early childhood educator than a lawyer. I suspect that you will.

    ReplyDelete