Sunday, March 16, 2014

Communication Skills: Verbal and Nonverbal (Week 2)

So I watch a lot of television and was really trying to see what show I don't watch. I decided to just click on Netflix and pick the first show that I haven't seen. Leverage was a little tough to watch because the show started with each person being identified and stealing files from a company. I assumed that they knew each other because of the way they were communicating. I assumed that they were all thieves. In the beginning of the show they were communicating but thru devices. They were not always in front of each other. Due to how well they worked together I thought they were all on the same team. I noticed that in the middle of the show they all met up exchanged envelopes and went their own way. Some moments in the show the main character Nate seemed annoyed, frustrated, and he rubbed his hand on the bottom of chin a lot. All the characters used a lot of hand moments, facial expressions, and body language. There are three guys and two ladies in this show. One of the ladies used an enormous amount of head motions almost as if she had a major attitude with the others. The second lady appeared to be classy and flirty. I assumed that she had relations with the main character by how close she stood, the glare in her eyes, and how she smiles. All these assumptions were made with the television on mute.

WOW! So I watched the television with the volume on and boy were my assumptions off. Nate the main character displayed a certain set of skills that were useful to the other four people of the show. The other four characters in the show were all highly classified thieves. None of the characters in the show knew each other until they were all asked to do a job together. Due to how much money was involved they all agreed to work together once. The lady who I thought had a relationship with Nate never did. She just admired him and like the work that he did. At the end of the show they all realized how well they worked together and decided to stay together and form a real team. The first lady who I thought had an attitude problem was actually friendly. She used a lot of expressions just being sarcastic because it was first time working with the other people. Nate expressions during the show I was close. When he rubbed his hand under his chin he wasn't annoyed or frustrated that was a gestured he used when trying to make a decision.

I think if I chose a show I normally watched my assumptions would have been more on point. I based my assumptions off how they were interacting and what was going on in the show. I watch Suits, Law & Order, and Blue Blood and this show is only different because this group of people are thieves. I pay attention to people when they are talking, I watch gestures, and look at facial expressions. I think it is important to views all these things to have a good understanding of what the person is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment